If you are concerned about Nebraska Sovereignty, as articulated in the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution , or the potential passage of health care reform by the U.S. Congress then I urge you to take action right now on a very important measure that was introduced by State Senator Beau McCoy the week of January 12th.
WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ANSWERS AS TO WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT THE MANY PROBLEMS WE ARE FACING…An overly powerful Federal government, unsustainable debt, encroachment on sovereignty, and above all the “boiling the frog” loss of liberties.
YOU have an opportunity to REALLY DO SOMETHING
This is YOUR CALL TO ACTION:
- Review the information below about the status of the nullification measure introduced by Senator McCoy
- If you are supportive of McCoy’s measure, CONTACT the Senators on the Health and Human Services Committee and YOUR Senator and tell them you support LR 289.
- Visit the Lincoln Journal Star article and make a comment (see link below). Our voices need to be heard there, as the Progressive Left always outnumbers the Constitutionalists on that site.
Bullet points you may find helpful when making contact:
- The Federal government is already far overstepping its enumerated powers as provided in the Constitution, it shouldn’t be getting further involved in health care.
- Nebraskans want to be able to choose whether or not you have health care insurance. You do not want the government forcing you to buy it. It is unconstitutional for the Federal government to force you to buy health insurance.
- Nebraskans should be given the opportunity to vote on this amendment to the State’s Constitution.
- Nebraskans do not support the the Federal health care bill. A December poll showed that 67% of Nebraskans are opposed.
- Nebraskans expect their elected officials to take action to protect their rights if the Federal government encroaches upon them.
- The health care bill has a number of unfunded mandates included in it that Nebraska cannot afford.
- Most Nebraskans view Senator Ben Nelson’s deal as a stain on Nebraska’s reputation. The Unicameral needs to show the rest of America they reject the special deal arranged for Nebraska’s Medicaid funds.
Health and Human Services Committee folks:
1. Senator Tim Gay, Chairperson
- Phone: (402) 471-2730
- Email: email@example.com
2. Senator Kathy Campbell
- Phone: (402) 471-2731
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Senator Mike Gloor
- Phone: (402) 471-2617
- Email: email@example.com
4. Senator Gwen Howard
- Phone: (402) 471-2723
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Senator Dave Pankonin
- Phone: (402) 471-2613
- Email: email@example.com
6. Senator Arnie Stuthman
- Phone: (402) 471-2715
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Senator Norman Wallman
- Phone: (402) 471-2620
- Email: email@example.com
To find out who YOUR State Senator is CLICK HERE.
(Tip: Enter your address into the lower right hand search box to find your Senator quickly.)
*When calling your Senator, consider making your opinion known about two other bills that will be coming up for a vote very soon, LB 550 and LB 261* See below for more detail.
Additional information about Senator McCoy’s measure –
*Click HERE* to read the bill
Statement of Intent:
“The following constitutes the reasons for this bill and the purposes which are sought to be accomplished thereby:
LR289CA would add a new section 31 to Article I of the Constitution of the State of Nebraska. The legislation would not allow a law to be passed in the state of Nebraska that restricts a person’s choice of health care systems, private health plan, or interfere with a person’s right to pay directly for legal, medical services. It would prohibit a penalty or fine of any type from being imposed for choosing or declining health care coverage, or participating in any particular health care plan or system.”
There was a hearing on the resolution before the Unicameral Health and Human Services Committee on Wednesday, February 3.
It has been reported by those in attendance that the feedback from the committee was NEGATIVE and it appears doubtful at this time that it will pass through the committee.
Since no further bills can be introduced in the Unicameral this session, McCoy’s bill is THE ONLY ONE that could be made become Nebraska law and that most importantly, would serve as a protection of Nebraska citizens against a Federally controlled government run health care system should it pass.
PROCESS for LR289ca:
LR289ca is actually an amendment to the Nebraska Constitution.
If it would pass through committee, it would go on the November ballot for a vote.
To view the page on the Nebraska Unicameral website in regards to LR289ca’s process CLICK HERE.
News articles from today about LR289:
Lincoln Journal Star article. To commit, click on the “Discussion” tab
Omaha World Herald Article:
As posted on the Grassroots in Nebraska site yesterday, there are two important measures that also require action from us; LB 550 and LB 261.
LB 550 raises serious questions about the National Guard as a police force.
LB 261 would allow retailers to scan identifying information from your driver’s license.
Click HERE to read the full post about these bills.